Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Is Anand Gandhi's 'Ship of Theseus' another flash in the pan?

I remember the first time I watched Satya, I had tears in my eyes and a wish; deep down in my heart, to become Satya, as soon as possible. I knew I could never kill people in real life; screw that, I couldn't even wish ill for anybody. Hailing from a South Indian middle-class background, I was pushing my luck, as far as being a 'Satya' kind of 'bhai' was concerned. I might have ended up as Chandu, the bloke who cracks jokes and eventually dies, that too at the most unexpected times.

What about the recently released, Anand Gandhi's 'Ship of Theseus'? Who gives a damn about it? Ship of what? Ship of who? Anand who? Who are you? The questions are never-ending. My fight was different. There was a film that was being shown to a limited audience, that too, at a theater where everybody wasn't invited / welcome. Ship of what again? Another shit film that you are trying to promote, said a few naysayers.

Theseus ka matlab kya hai saale? Chadh gayi tujhe pencho? I faced a lot of questions by my friends, but those who stood for the film that I thought should be watched by everybody, were only my parents. Having been unable to convince my parents to even watch a festival blockbuster like 'Chennai Express', I was losing ground like never before. How would I convince them to spend about Rs. 300/- per ticket to watch a film that had nothing to offer that they had grown up watching?

The keyword was - Kiran Rao. Before my 11th test result, I was Kiran Rao. A few months later, I became some other guy, who my parents hadn't reared. I soon became Keyrun Rao, the same guy, albeit with a different spelling. Also, with a new identity, that of a guy who was disconnected from his roots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment