Monday, March 18, 2019

MARD KO DARD NAHIN HOTA review: Underground retro pulp cult stuff















It was my birthday yesterday (technically still today). In my head I am still celebrating it with my lovely wife Rani. She's a an amazing superwoman, and is the best cook ever, perhaps a close second to my mother. Wait, this is not a Rani appreciation post, but let me still just leave this here - I am the luckiest guy in Andheri (West) - no, make that the entire earth, and all its cousin planets.

 The last paragraph was a trick.

Just like how director Vasan Bala sneaked in all his ginormous love for movies, music & Matunga in an out-and-out action film, I wrote a little love letter to Rani. Hahaha.

If you scratch the surface of 'Mard Ko Dard Nahin Hota', you will see what I mean. I have known Vasan for more than a decade now- no, we barely meet, or hang out. He is schooled by Anurag Kashyap, and I lean towards the realms of Yash Chopra, Vishal Bhardwaj & Rajkumar Hirani.  I could be totally wrong, but that's my perception of this mad man. What does connect me and Vasan is our mad passion for cinema. I guess we are movie fanatics first, and then film professionals.

MKDNH is absolute underground retro pulp cult stuff - please first watch the trailer of Vasan's labour of love here:



I don't think many of my readers know of my Matunga connection... I was born in Udipi-Manipal, but raised in erstwhile Bombay. Till the 5th standard, I used to go to Holy Family High School, in Chheda Nagar. Before moving to Indore, we had a 1-room-kitchen-nothing-else apartment in Tilak Nagar (Chembur) and it was a ritual for us to visit our relatives who owned an entire building in Matunga. Acharya Products baad mein Google kar lena. Those visits involved us going and pigging out at the joints in and around that vicinity.

The food at Cafe Madras! Totally worth dying or killing for.

Story mein abhi tak hero ki entry nahin hui? Okay, here you go -

Abhimanyu Dassani came across as a worthy inheritor of Hrithik Roshan's legacy. Period. 

I swear to Lord CineIndra, I am not exaggerating - this young boy is going to be one of the busiest actors for the next few years, and will reign the action films' genre. Rani had predicted this way before even Abhimanyu could have imagined. There is something very 'Mard' yet very endearing - you know like everyone would wish good things to happen to him. I hated everyone in the film who did nasty things to our Surya of MKDNH. Super Gullu, please go to hell.

RADHIKA MADAN - The STREE of our Mard is a "PAAO KILO KI PYTHON" - ye Google pe nahin milega, sorry. The blood, sweat and dirt she suffered is on ample display. Radhika is perhaps Bollywood's answer to Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, Uma Thurman, Jennifer Garner and the likes. She kicks ass, breaks bones but the moment her hair flies in slow motion, your heart skips a beat. You don't want her to hurt herself.

Take a break, listen to 'Rappan Rappi Rap' now:



Okay, so let me tell you about the man I hate the most in Andheri (West) tonight - Gulshan Devaiah - he has killed it in more ways than one in MKDNH. Humility be damned, I think I was one of the first to call Gulshan the new 'Bad Man' of Bollywood, I think this was during the release of 'Shaitan,' or one of his first films. He has a double role in this film, and the characters he is playing here are too extreme opposites - award nominations are inevitable. Congratulations & bouquets in order.

Okay, so now let me tell you about the man I love the most in Mumbai tonight - Mahesh Manjrekar. Mahesh sir plays the role of Surya's grandfather "Aazoba" and perhaps packs in a career best performance as an actor that will be remembered for ages. I wish one of my grandfathers were a fraction as cool or inspiring or motivating - he talks about sex with his son and grandson, in a clean yet cool fashion. And the hats he wears - what an enviable collection.

P.S.: We are still talking about the minutest attention to detail we saw this night.

P.S. 1: Love you, dear Vasan Bala, please keep peddling your dreams. We will keep buying the tickets, you keep entertaining us. It's our little deal, you sasta Sriram Raghavan.

P.S. 2: Once again, happy birthday to me. HAHAHA.


No comments:

Post a Comment